Sunday, July 19, 2009

I felt so busy throughout this week, but when I stopped to think about everything I did, I realized the list mostly consisted of entertainment....

I watched "The Great Gatsby" with Mike, Chrissy, and Jacque on Monday night after a pool party at the home of one of our church leaders. To be honest, I LOVE the book, but cannot, in good conscience, recommend the movie. It was so looooooooooooooooooooooong and drawn out. Not only is the book 3,000,000 times better, you could probably read it just as fast. Consider yourself warned.

I finished "Year of Wonders," which is a novel about a small town in rural England that is afflicted with the plague. The residents decide to quarantine themselves from the neighboring towns, and several folks turn a little bit kooky in their hopeless and desperate isolation (a la "Lord of the Flies").

I went to Welfare Square and helped bag bread in the bakery, which I guarantee was more fun than it sounds, thanks to fun folks who were there.

I watched "Australia" with my cousin Caprice. Hell-o Hugh Jackman! Everyone kept saying the movie was really long (which it was), but it was interesting. It made me wonder how I would fare in the Australian outback. If you haven't seen it, you might want to add it to your list.

I read an amazing book called "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close." It was a real page-turner, so it only took me a day to read it. The style of the writer was definitely fascinating. Also, the subject matter was emotionally intense. I'm not kidding when I say I couldn't put it down.

I watched "Gone With the Wind" in preparation for my upcoming trip to Atlanta. I thought it would be great to brush up on my history of the Old South so that I can appreciate the things I see when I'm there. The Margaret Mitchell House is definitely on the list.

Well, that's all for now. Until next time.... ciao.

4 comments:

Kristan said...

I too was a little surprised how much I liked Australia. Maybe I'll have to watch it again.

I just read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close at the beach too!!! I loved it!

I made the mistake of watching Gone with the Wind right after I read the book - so naturally I hated it, because really can a movie do that book justice. But YEAH!!!!! for your upcoming trip to Atlanta!

Can't wait to see you!

Kate said...

It sounds like you are having too much fun without me . . . have fun in the ATL!

Kristen said...

There's nothing wrong with a little entertainment...or a little Hugh Jackman. Or three hours of Hugh Jackman. Time well spent, I say!

Paige said...

OMG...Hugh Jackman is totally the best part of Australia. Let's just be honest, okay? :) Glad to hear you are brushing up on your southern history...and I love that your history research = watching Gone with the Wind. Ha ha!! Love it! Have SO much fun in GA! Love your guts.