Sunday, October 12, 2008

RED VELVET


My dear friend, Paige, insisted that I have a red velvet cake for my 22nd birthday party. It was fitting, because I am unabashedly partial to the color, but I honestly had never tried red velvet cake before; I thought it seemed somewhat unnatural to opt for a cake that wasn't the darkest brown known to man.... But it turned out to be a delightful treat, so I whole-heartedly welcomed red velvet into my life.


A couple of summers ago, while in the Big Apple visiting my friend, Kristan, we stopped at a cupcake shop where I purchased the dreamiest red velvet cupcake imaginable. The butter cream frosting was thick and delicious; I could have died happily at the moment I inhaled it. It was SO divine that I purchased the cookbook online a month later, and shortly thereafter found myself happily dancing around the kitchen wearing a polka dot apron. Two bottles of red food coloring and an afternoon later, I had the satisfaction of partaking of the gems. My heart and my stomach were fully satisfied....


Red velvet is intensely rich, temptingly sweet, and simply satisfying. I hope you'll all enjoy it as much as I do!

8 comments:

Kate said...

Dear Lady in Red,

I have two words for you: so cupcake!

Love,
The Lady in Any Other Coler (I mean color)

Paige said...

Yay!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! It so great that you are here! Wow--I had almost forgotten about the red velvet 22nd b-day. What a glorious party. I feel so proud to have been mentioned in you first blog post. Tear. I miss you lots!

Kristan said...

oh you have my mouth watering for those buttercup red velvet cupcakes! let's try this so cupcake pronto . . . i've heard so much hype plus i'm due for a trip to slc!

oh and WELCOME! i'm glad i can blog stalk you now too :)

Kristen Kane said...

Hola Rags! I love your new blog! And I'm so glad you let me in on your little secret... (I won't tell anyone.):) Unless you don't really care, then I'll put a link on my blog! But even if I don't, I will be checking it periodically anyway... and I'll also be trying red velvet cupcakes.

*Jane Lee* said...

Red Velvet cupcakes have always scared me, honestly.... but I'd love to try them. Maybe we could have a girls night out of POUNCE and making cupcakes? Sounds divine to me?

Love you tons! -=Jane=-

Anonymous said...

you and your look alike are awesome about sharing blog info. i thought i was your sister...but maybe no. ME

bug and dude said...

They were yummy cupcakes. I am glad that everyone is getting a blog. now I can keep up to date with you.
Love ya

Red said...

Kristan: Co Cupcake!!! Name the day...

Kristen: I won't be mad if you post a link from your blog. I promise.

Jane: I have been DYING to play pounce. Let's get it on the calendar so it's official!